Let’s come together to celebrate the food we love.
We’re part of a vibrant, forward-thinking industry that grows safe, healthy and affordable food. So, what better way to share that excitement and passion than to celebrate Canada’s Agriculture Day on February 16?
While there are many reasons to celebrate Canadian agriculture, we’ve narrowed it down to our top 10.
10. The ag sector is a major employer. Ag employees over 2.3 million Canadians – that’s one in eight jobs.
9. We’re a trading powerhouse. Canada is the world’s fifth largest exporter of ag and agri-food products with over $50 billion in annual sales.
8. Family matters. We love ag for the life it gives our kids now and the opportunities it will give them in the future. It’s not just our livelihood, but our legacy – 98% of farms are family farms.
7. Ag plays a significant role in our economy. It contributes over $100 billion to Canada’s GDP each year.
6. We’re proud environmentalists. Ike Skelton once said, “Because of their connection to the land, farmers do more to protect and preserve our environment than almost anyone else.”
5. We love and care for our animals. We believe in responsible animal care and follow nationally recognized codes of practice for the care and handling of our animals.
4. Ag is innovative. Thanks to modern crop protection and plant biotechnology tools, we’re providing Canadians with affordable and high-quality food to feed their families.
3. We believe in quality. Canada ranks number one in global food safety performance.
2. We’re a trusted industry. A recent Canadian Centre for Food Integrity survey shows that consumers trust farmers more than any other group and 60% want to know more about farming practices.
1. We love what we do. Agriculture isn’t just our business, it’s our passion and our way of life. So, let’s be proud to share our story, explain where food comes from and how it’s produced, and reach out to those not in the ag industry.
No matter how you look at it, Canadian agriculture is a success story. So, let’s celebrate it together!
There are many ways to get involved and celebrate Canada’s Agriculture Day. Whether you participate on social media (use #CdnAgDay), take a personal ag challenge or get your community involved, there are plenty of ways to share your ag pride in a meaningful way. Check out AgDay.ca for ideas to celebrate Canada’s Agriculture Day and downloadable resources to help you out.